Neuroscience attempts to provide an understanding of how the properties of neurons and of the synapses they form give rise to specific behaviors. Neuronal and synaptic properties are not static, but under the control of a multitude of neuromodulatory substances that tune circuits for different outputs in different behavioral contexts. Neuromodulators are substances that are endogenously released in the nervous system and modify electrical properties of neurons or properties of synaptic transmission on a moderately fast time scale. Neuromodulation is a primary source of flexibility in neural networks; it is required for the nervous system to change its responses to changes in input. Intuitive examples include modifications in the response of a sensory system such as olfaction or vision to changes in the strength (gain) of the stimulus (strong or weak odors or low or high levels of light or contrast) or, more dramatically, transitions between sleep and awake states. Neuromodulation is present in virtually every part of the nervous system and every aspect of the function of the nervous system. Yet, with the exception of a few well studied systems, very little is known about the mechanisms through which neuromodulation affects network output and behavior. The goal of this course is to understand some of the principles underlying neuromodulatory control from the level of intrinsic neuronal excitability to complex behaviors, based on discussions of review articles and primary literature in the field.
How to order the class materials:
- Pay for the materials by clicking on the PayPal Checkout Button.
- You can pay with Visa, MasterCard or PayPal.
- If you don't see the email within 15 minutes, check your spam folder.
- If you do not complete process at this time the link in email will expire.
- If the link has expired, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us that your link expired and we will send you a username and password.
- If you do not receive the link to register just contact us at email@example.com and we will email you a username and password.
Additional payment-related information:
- You must purchase the materials via the PayPal Check Out Button before you can log in.
- We will email a receipt to the email address you specify when making the purchase.
- You can access the website to view the materials as often as you like, so there's no need to download large files.
- You can change your password at any time but will need access to the registered email.
- The user and password are good for five months.
- If you use the user and password with more than five IP addresses you may get locked out. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send a new user and password.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact email@example.com.